The original building was built in 1875 for use as a small chapel and has historic designation. The client intended to restore the exterior faithfully to its original condition and reinterpret the interior space to accommodate weddings and receptions. The interior had to be a simple, clean space, evoking the spirit of its original use as a small church. The spatial configuration is straightforward: storage, mechanical, and bathroom to the rear, a two story chapel area, and a loft for music, refreshments, etc. The simplicity of the space allowed for the truss design to be a focal point. The trusses were fabricated using recycled, rough hewn poplar and painted steel gusset plates.
· AIA award winner.